Church History

Church History

  • Higganum Congregation split from Haddam Congregational Church (FCH); 135 persons formed the Higganum Congregational Church – organized May 14, 1844.  Rev. Dudley Field left the FCH to become the first minister of HCC.
    • The Haddam Church was formed in 1700.
    • The Haddam Church burned to the ground in 1979.
  • HCC Congregation met in East School building from 1844 to 1845 until the current church was occupied.  The East School building was at the site of the current garage at 365 Saybrook Road, Higganum.
  • The church cornerstone was laid on June 24, 1844.
  • The church was dedicated on July 23, 1845.  The cost of the church construction was $4,000.
  • The first church parsonage was at 22 Landing Road, Higganum; the former residence of church member Captain Philip ‘Bud’ Porter, Jr.
  • The current church parsonage was built in 1882 at a cost of $5,432.97.
  • In 1870, the Ladies of the Benevolent Society raised money for a chapel, conference room and kitchen at the rear of the church building.  It was dedicated in October, 1870 at a cost of $3,000.
  • Congregational Churches began ordaining women in 1853.
  • A third addition was constructed in 2012 to provide Christian Education classrooms, church office and a remodeled Fellowship Hall.  The cost of this addition was $500,000.
  • Dr. Dudley Field’s four ‘famous’ sons:
    • Cyrus W. Field: laid first telegraph cable across the Atlantic Ocean
    • Stephen J. Field: US Supreme Court Justice
    • David Dudley Field, Jr.: Helped codify international law
    • Henry Martin Field: author of travel books
    • These fours sons donated land for Field Park to Haddam